Hurricane harvey & Irma disaster relief
1. What was Send Relief’s immediate response? Before Hurricane Harvey made landfall Friday, August 25, Send Relief and Southern Baptist Disaster Relief (SBDR) teams were prepared to mobilize. On that Friday morning, teams and equipment were staged in outlying areas, like Mississippi, for quick access and aid to Houston.
2. How many meals can SBDR provide? We have capacity to provide up to 400,000 meals daily. Volunteers make this happen!
3. Does Send Relief collaborate with other responding organizations? Absolutely. With dozens of organizations responding, along with the federal government, it is essential we work together. It allows us to maximize our effectiveness and avoid duplicity in our response.
4. How long will the hurricane response last? This will take years.
5. Where does the money go that is given to Hurricane Harvey recovery? Your dollars are allocated toward:
• Acquiring materials and supplies used in the response. These include Shockwave (mold remediation), rolled roofing, flood buckets, and personal protective equipment (e.g., suits, masks, gloves)
• Event-specific logistics and event coordination (e.g., fuel, staging of supplies, material distribution)
• Grants to churches impacted by wind and flooding for rebuilding or repairs
• Grants to state conventions and association partners in affected areas
6. Your generous donations do not pay for:
• Compensation for Send Relief disaster relief staff or North American Mission Board staff
• Trucks, trailers, or other disaster relief equipment
8. How can we pray?
• Pray for those suffering, that they might be drawn to the Lord for comfort.
• Pray for responders, for their safety and stamina.
• Pray for wisdom for government leaders as they make timely and difficult decisions.
• Pray for generous gifts of donations and time from volunteers to help quicken the clean-up process.
• Pray for patience and for a heart to meet the needs of the Texas people for a long time.
• Most importantly, pray that gospel conversations may happen and that the lost might come to salvation through Jesus Christ.
9. How can we give or volunteer? Go to sendrelief.net/SendHope